Vocabulary and grammar for line graphs and describing trends.
Writing task 1 asks you to write a report about a bar chart, a line graph, a pie chart or a process diagram. In this case we are going to look at describing a line graph in IELTS writing task 1 and the kind of grammar and vocabulary that is needed for this task.
We are going to look at:
1. Vocabulary for describing a line graph
2. Useful grammar for this task
3. Example of a line graph
4. Gap fill exercise
a period of stability
|showed an upward trend|
showed a downward trend
hit the highest point
hit the lowest point
reached a peak
showed some ﬂuctuation
reached a plateau
the second highest
the third highest
1. There was a substantial increase in the value of stocks on March 15th.
2. House prices rose dramatically in July.
3. The number of tourists visiting New York fell sharply in October.
4. The number of students studying Economics rose gradually from 2001 to 2010.
5. There was a sharp increase in employee turnover after the strike.
6. Interest in environmental issues has risen steadily over the last 10 years.
Prepositions are needed to describe dates, numbers or comparisons:
From 2001 to 2010,
Between 1965 and 1969
Over a ten year period
An Increase of 25%.
Decreased by 10%.
Fell from 200 in July to 150 in August.
Dropped from 200 units to 120 units in a period of 6 months.
Rose sharply over a period of 5 years.
Started at one third and peaked at three thirds
Fell from 30% to just over 20%
Note: This task is not an official Cambridge task, I have simplified it for practice purposes only.
The line graph below shows exports of rubber ducks from 2013 to 2017.
Fill in the gaps.
Exports of rubber ducks in the USA ___ 2013 started ___ 10,000 units and ____ slightly to around 15,000 units, they ________ off and fell ______ by 2016 to around 13,000 units. However_____ 2016 ____ 2017 exports fell sharply ending ___ only 2,000 units.
In contrast, exports of rubber ducks from the EU started well at 30, 000 units and rose_________ but then ________ gradually in 2015 to 21,000 units. Soon after, the trend grew _________ to over 33,000 units in 2016 and _______ at 40,000 units in 2017. Similarly, in the UK exports _____ steadily from 2014 ending at 40,000 units ___ 2017.